Artist: Robin Saville
Title Of Album: Public Flowers
Year Of Release: 2014
Label: Second Language
Genre: Indietronica, Ambient
Quality: 320 Kbps
Total Time: 77:42 min
Total Size: 180 MB
01. Bryophyte Society Annual Picnic (8:56)
02. A Brief Message from Our Ancestors (2:24)
03. In Konik Mokkin (5:21)
04. The Long Walk from Sallowes Church (10:29)
05. Hilary and Dave's Piano #1 (1:48)
06. Nutmeg Saba Cinnamon (4:19)
07. Hilary and Dave's Piano #2 (2:23)
08. All Who Are Not On the Rock Are in the Sea (8:25)
09. A Fail All Girl (5:44)
10. A Fail All Girl (Loscil Flagra Flagri Mix) (4:39)
11. Hilary and Dave's Piano #2 (P. Manasseh Mix) (4:26)
12. Bryophyte Society Annual Picnic (Dollboy Bones Mix) (8:27)
13. All Who Are Not On the Rock Are in the Sea (Clouds Mix) (4:32)
14. The Long Walk from Sallowes Church (Mugwood Hither and Zither Mix) (5:54)
Robin's new solo album, 'Public Flowers', is about creating a series of soundscapes both familiar and stimulating. The music here is a canny blend of repetition and constant change, echoing the organic experimentation of the likes of American minimalist composer Steve Reich, the evocative soundtracks of Piero Milesi and the experimental/ambient work of Cluster. A keen gardener, Saville's love for the British landscape is also made apparent in the mix by the subtle use of field recordings, the music seamlessly blending into the sonic environment as if recorded in situ.
The title of the album is a quote from Edwardian children's book, 'The Story Of The Amulet,' by Fabian Society founder, Edith Nesbit. It makes reference to a utopian society based on equality and a respect for the natural world - Saville's music would seem to be the perfect soundtrack for this imagined world.
"I must not litter the beautiful street with bits of paper or things to eat; I must not pick the public flowers. They are not MINE, but they are OURS."
'Public Flowers' is number No.6 in the 2L Library Series - a highly collectible catalogue of hardback CD albums designed to be stored in your bookcase. Art direction, photography, design by Martin Masai Andersen/Andersen M Studio.
An accompanying bonus disc, 'Hybrids', (SL028x), featuring remixes of tracks from 'Public Flowers' by Loscil, P.Manasseh, Dollboy, Clouds and Mugwood is available only to Second Language subscribers with this release.